Spring Sunflower Seed Cookies
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, shells removed
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons cold water, OR sub with 1 egg if you can tolerate eggs
- 1/2 cup dairy free dark chocolate chips or bar cut into pieces
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Do this next step if you are using flax eggs. Otherwise just skip on down to make the sunflower seeds.
- Make your flax eggs by mixing the 1 tablespoon ground flax with 3 tablespoons cold water in a large mixing bowl. Mix together and then place in the fridge to let rest while you make the sunflower seed flour.
- Place the sunflower seeds in a blender or food processor (I used a coffee grinder) and pulse the seeds until you end up with a flour-like texture. You may need to stop every so often to scrape the sides of the blender/processor down.
- Add the melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl with the flax egg (or regular egg if that's what you're using) and stir until well combined.
- Mix in the ground sunflower seeds, coconut flour, baking soda, cardamom and salt and whisk everything together until. You should end up with a crumbly but wet looking dough that easily sticks together.
- Scoop out about 1 tablespoon of dough and roll together to form little balls. Place the dough balls on a lined baking sheet leaving about 1 inch in between each cookie. Gently flatten the dough with your hand or a fork.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the sheet for at least 10 minutes before carefully removing and placing on a cooling rack.